Feasibility study for the implementation of AMI
Feasibility study of the 1.7 m AMI Investment Program at Lahore & Islamabad in Pakistan
ÅF has been engaged for the development of a Feasibility Study for the implementation of Advanced Metering Infrastructure (AMI) solutions and a Billing and Customer Information System (CIS) for LESCO, Pakistan. The total project costs are estimated 400 Mio. USD, the consultancy fees for this study are worth 1 Mio. USD and shall include state-of-the-art equipment and software that shall put Pakistan in the forefront of the Smart Grids technologies in the Central Asian region.
The project shall be implemented in selected areas (for AMI) and the entire DISCOs for the Billing System and CIS, and comprises the analysis and provision of recommendation and guidance on the following elements:
- Smart meters,
- Communications infrastructure (where several options were analysed),
- AMI systems including by Head End System (HES) and Management Data Systems (MDMS),
- Billing System with a Customer Information System (CIS) integrated with the AMI systems so that the ‘Meter to Cash’ process is fully automated and requires no manual participation.
- Finally, three levels of training are included in the study in order to ensure a successful knowledge transfer to the local operators.
- Among the benefits of the project, the following can be pointed out:
- 5-6% energy sales increase,
- Elimination of commercial debt,
- Introduction of prepayment options,
- Reduction of outages by means of solidary share of existing generation capacity.