Assistance to SENER in the development of reform program
The Government of Mexico is considering the reform of its energy sector (electricity, oil and gas) as one of the key processes to modernize the national economy and to increase its industrial competitiveness.
In the electricity sector, the proposed reform aims at achieving these specific targets:
- Foster the private sector participation in the power generation segment;
- Keep the control of the National Power System under the State, along with the public service of transmission and distribution of electric power while guaranteeing grid access to the generation plants;
- Strengthen the CFE (Federal Electricity Commission), through a higher organization and operational flexibility, and facilitating a cost reduction;
- Reinforce the roles of SENER (Energy Secretariat) and CRE (National Regulatory Commission);
- Foster a higher investment in the technological development and adoption of clean energy sources, including solar, wind and natural gas;
- In this context, the Government of Mexico has retained the consortium AF Mercados-SIGLA to assist SENER in the development of the reform program for the Mexican electricity sector.
Taking as reference the draft legislation prepared by SENER, the consultant designed a program for the implementation and project management within the reform process, including:
- Organization of a workshop in Mexico DF, with the participation of a panel of international experts in power markets restructuring, to address the following key issues: principles of project management and application to the restructuring process; requirements for the implementation process; international experiences in the implementation of similar power markets; identification of specific projects for the implementation phase; preparation of an implementation program for the procurement and execution of each individual project; definition of the list of deliverables for each project; estimation of the required budget for the implementation of each project; identification of eligible providers for each project.
- Work plan and recommendations for the organization of the transitory period, including: the market structure proposed by SENER (suggestions and recommendations); regulation and payment process for ensuring the smooth operation of the power sector during the transitory period; market rules and transitory rules for the operation of the power system; other relevant considerations during the transitory period.
- Analysis and presentation of the expected results during the reform process, including: analysis of the results achieved in similar power markets; assessment of the financial flows among the CFE's business units and other market agents; estimation of the financial results for each CFE unit considering the transitory period and the proposed market structure.
- Estimation of the required feasible tariff levels for the final users during the transitory period (until 2018).
- Analysis of the human resources required in SENER, CRE and CENACE.