New open-cast mine at Gruvberget, Svappavaara
Hydrogeological surveys before the opening of a new open-cast mine at Gruvberget in Svappavaara.
LKAB has opened a new open-cast mine at Gruvberget in Svappavaara. Before operations started up, ÅF conducted hydrogeological surveys in order to assess how the surrounding area would be affected by the new open-cast mine.
The hydrogeological survey included an analysis of, among other things, the impact on individual wells, lakes and vegetation. The survey also included a forecast of the volumes of water that will need to be pumped away in order to dewater the open-cast mine at different levels of extraction.
ÅF’s assignment at Gruvberget included the following elements:
- Hydrogeological survey including drilling and test pumping
- Assessment of impact on the surrounding area
- Technical expert in main negotiation for environmental permit
- Production of base data for dimensioning of pumping plant
- Design and cost assessment of facility for drawdown of groundwater
- Production of draft control programme for mining operations