Principal / Senior HV Cable Systems Engineer
About the company
AFRY is an international engineering, design and advisory company. We support our clients to progress in sustainability and digitalisation.
We are 17,000 devoted experts within the fields of infrastructure, industry and energy, operating across the world to create sustainable solutions for future generations.
About the job
We, within our competence and expertise, at AFRY are involved in shaping the future of the energy transition. The Transmission & Distribution (T&D) business area's strategy addresses the challenges of a changing power sector, upgraded grid infrastructures are instrumental in adopting the future generation mix to guarantee an economic and reliable power supply.
Advanced Power Systems & Solutions is a vibrant team, part of the System Studies and HVDC section within T&D Sweden at AFRY. The team has a cross-functional role with a focus on FACTS (Flexible Alternating Current Transmission Systems), HVDC (High-Voltage, Direct Current) transmission system, Integration of Renewables, and other Advanced Power System Applications within Sweden, and Internationally. At present, the system studies and HVDC section consists of about 20 people divided into three groups and seven offices across Sweden.
We are looking for a Principal / Senior HV Cable Systems Engineer. The successful candidate will be a new valuable member to add to our family, and will be based, preferably, in Stockholm or Västerås. However, working from Göteborg, Uppsala, or Karlskrona is an option.
Who are you?
We develop the system requirements for different utility and industry customers’ needs and also evaluate contractors and supplier submittals for both tenders and projects. We take a substantial role in developing and resolving significant obstacles in the research and development arena for many of our clients.
As a Principal / Senior HV Cable Systems and Solutions Engineer, you should have an overall knowledge about HV cable systems covering design, manufacturing, testing, and installation aspects. Particularly, a combination of at least 6 of the following expertise is of interest:
- Development of technical specifications for procurement of HVAC and HVDC cable systems
- Application of HV cable international standards (CIGRÉ, IEC, …)
- Designing of cables based on system data, installation conditions, manufacturability, and test qualifications
- Modeling and Simulations using tools and software programs, e.g. ANSYS, COMSOL Multiphysics, and MATLAB.
- Current rating calculations, including FEM analysis
- Mechanical design and analysis for offshore installation
- Development of inspection and test programmes, both Electrical and mechanical testing
- Supervision / third party inspection of:
- Cable manufacturing
- Testing and Commissioning of MV/HV Cables
- Onshore and/or offshore installation
- Cable installation, surveying and route planning
- Exposure to project management including quality, HSE and planning
- Designing, testing, and installation of fibre optic cable systems for telecommunication and sensing
Fluent communication in English is a must. Good knowledge of other languages, specially Swedish and German, is a plus.
We are looking for someone who wants to be part of AFRY’s success story. Are you passionate about technology development? Do you like to work together to find the best solution? Then we can offer you career opportunities in a modern workplace with challenging assignments and exciting projects all over the world.
The AFRY Group is ranked as one of Sweden’s most popular employer among engineers. At AFRY you will be involved in developing innovative and sustainable solutions within infrastructure, energy and industry. We are always looking for the sharpest skills that can create a future society together with us. We hope you will learn as much from us as we will learn from you.
Group Manager, Advanced Power Systems & Solutions