Final repository in Switzerland
ÅF Switzerland prepares the generic design of the final repository for high- and intermediate-level radioactive waste in Switzerland.
Spent fuel from Swiss nuclear power plants and vitrified fission product solutions from reprocessing will be disposed of in the high-level waste (HLW) repository, which will also have tunnels for long-lived intermediate-level waste (ILW).
The existing conceptual design will be refined for a generic (site independent) repository, since the definite location of the repository is yet to be determined. The final location, layout and integration into the landscape will be decided together with the regional citizens.
The project team consists of experts from AF-Consult Switzerland, AF-TOSCANO, IFEC and Pöyry Switzerland.
The scope of services include:
- Design of systems and components
- Requirements of underground works
- Design of above surface facilities
- Preparation of General License Application
- Optional: licensing follow up
- 2019 - 2024 with the optional service continuing until 2031.