To enhance the precision and extend the usage areas of engineering practice methods for calculation of train excited structure-borne sound and vibrations in dwellings.
There are several huge railway projects planned in Sweden such as Västlänken, Ostlänken, Hamnbanan, Göteborg-Borås etc. There are also wishes to increase train speed, weight and length of freight trains. An environmental impact is structure borne sound and vibrations in nearby dwellings.
To predict the levels there are some calculation models used. ÅF Sound and Vibration has developed an empirical calculation model based on physical relations and a large number of measurements. However; there are some topics to develop in the model.
- The influence of damping in dissipative mediums, i.e. soil, clay, fillings.
- The speed dependence at very high speeds.
- Influence of train type with different wheel and boogie design.
- Influence of track design for ballasted an non-ballast tracks.
The aim of this thesis is to enhance the precision in these methods.
1. Literature study concerning structure borne sound in ground from trains.
2. Survey (at ÅF Sound & Vibration, Internet, libraries etc.) for reports and measurements of structure-borne sound. Interviewing consultants on the subject.
3. There are possibilities to perform measurements of structure-borne sound from train passages in different environments.
4. Compilation of the result of the above activities and drawing conclusions from them.
5. Suggest improvements to be used in engineering practice methods.
Technical acoustics and acoustical measurement technique at master student level.