Intelligent Transportation Systems
ITS systems are established to support traffic safety, traffic accessibility and road user information.
ÅF has been involved in the establishment of Intelligent Transport Systems (ITS) in connection with major motorway expansions as well as other critical traffic-related spots on the Danish motorways. The systems are established in order to improve road safety, traffic flow and information to road users.
ÅF has developed the ITS system used by the Danish Road Directorate (Vejdirektoratet) used on motorways, on bridges and in tunnels. The system is an advanced server and network based traffic management system that collects data from various sensors. The detectors can be coils in the road, radar detectors, wind or road sensors, cameras or other sensors. The data from the detectors is processed in the system, which makes it possible to give information about the current traffic flow or conditions on the road.
- Input to Environmental Impact Assessment reports (EIA)
- Identification of requirements to the system
- Elaboration of traffic technical objectives and strategies
- Identification of traffic technical instruments and methods
- Conceptual design and project proposals for traffic systems as well as power supply, communication and IT monitoring and control
- Detailed technical design including functional and technical requirements
- Tender strategy, tendering and evaluation of tenders
- Review of contractor’s design
- Project follow-up
- Testing and commissioning
- Planning of the operational phase, including cooperation and coordination with incident responders and the Road Directorates’s Traffic Information Centre
- Preparations for operation and maintenance (manuals, instructions etc.)