Geothermal projects are designed to tap the subsurface heat reservoir and make the energy available for use above ground. Experts at ÅF have acquired more than 20 years' worth of experience in geothermal reservoir simulation and engineering for sites in Switzerland, Germany and other countries. Our tasks focus on site characterization for the energy utilization of groundwater and thermal water. Our main method is the numerical simulation of hydraulic, thermal, chemical and mechanical processes to derive the reservoir's parameters and model its behavior. An example of our combination of applied and R&D activities is the software package we developed for the Swiss Federal Office of Energy Groundwater Energy Designer.
What we provide:
- Interface services linking the surface and the subsurface disciplines of consulting and engineering
- Assistance in site investigation, reservoir assessment and reservoir engineering
- Hydraulic test analysis
- Interpretation of borehole geophysics
- Recommendations for well spacing and design
- Simulations of single-phase and two-phase fluid flow, and heat transport
- Geochemical modeling and assessment
- Project consultancy, expert reviews, research studies
With our comprehensive know-how we support our clients from feasibility studies, through the licensing process to the realization of geothermal energy projects for a safe and economical use of a natural and renewable resource.